Outlook Express could not be started - Error message 0x80004005,183
James Graham
2007-08-03 18:09:52 UTC
Hi,

Can anyone help with the below:

Although I can still use Microsoft Outlook Express 6.0 I get this annoying
messgae that pops up on a regular basis

"Outlook Express could not be started. The application was unable to open
the Outlook Express message store. Your computer may be out of memory or
your disk is full. Contact Microsoft support for further assistance
(0x80004005,183)"

I have over 4.02GB free space on my hard drive

Kind Regards,
James
Bruce Hagen
2007-08-03 18:15:42 UTC
Start here:

When OE crashes or won't start:
http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash
--
Bruce Hagen
MS-MVP Outlook Express
Hi,
James
PA Bear
2007-08-03 18:14:36 UTC
Start here: http://www.insideoe.com/problems/errors.htm#crash

General OE Caveats:

- Don't use Inbox or Sent Items to archive messages. Move them to local
folders created for this purpose.

- Empty Deleted Items folder daily.

- Disable Background Compacting [N/A in SP2] and frequently perform a manual
compact of all OE folders while "working offline". More at
http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm.

- WinXP SP2 only: Do not attempt to close OE via Task Manager or shutdown
your machine if Automatic Compacting is taking place.

- Your anti-virus application's email scanning feature can also cause
corruption. Disable it. It provides no additional protection.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
Hi,