Error 0x80004005 when accessing yahoo mail
ritzlaw
2007-06-24 22:26:01 UTC
Have been using using OE 6 for a very long time to access my yahoo mail. Now
for the last few days I get the following error when trying to connect:

An unknown error has occurred. Account: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Server:
'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error
Number: 0x80004005

I have no problem sending, but I cannot receive. I have checked all my
server settings, etc.

Any suggestions?
Michael Santovec
2007-06-24 22:40:13 UTC
That could indicate a corrupted Inbox folder. Can you view your
existing messages in the Inbox?

For a corrupted Inbox (OE5+):

If messages are still accessible in the Inbox folder, do the following
(otherwise skip to the next procedure):
- Create a new mail folder (e.g. Mytemp)
- Copy (not Move) the existing Inbox messages to the new mail folder
(Mytemp)
- Close Outlook Express
- Locate the file Inbox.dbx in the mail directory and delete it. You
can use Start, Find (or Search), Files or Folders, Inbox.dbx to find it.
On Win2000 you need enable the display of Hidden or System files in the
folder options and XP you need to use the advanced options to find
Hidden or System files. (You can also determine the location by looking
in OE at Tools, Options, Maintenance, Store Folder.)
- Open Outlook Express again.
- It will create a new empty Inbox. Copy the messages back from the
Mytemp folder. You can now delete the Mytemp folder.

If you were unable to copy all the messages above, try the following:
- Close Outlook Express
- Rename the file Inbox.dbx to Inboxold.dbx You can use Start, Find (or
Search), Files or Folders, Inbox.dbx to find it. On Win2000 you need
enable the display of Hidden or System files in the folder options and
XP you need to use the advanced options to find Hidden or System files.
- Open Outlook Express again.
- It will create a new empty Inbox.
- The following program may be able to recover some of the messages from
the Inboxold.dbx file.
DBXtract - http://www.oehelp.com/DBXtract/Default.aspx
- You can then open OE and select the Inbox and drag the recovered EML
files back into it.
Any suggestions?
ritzlaw
Any suggestions?
Michael Santovec
Any suggestions?
ritzlaw
2007-06-30 15:34:01 UTC
So, after trying all that you recommended, I went to another machine, set up
the yahoo account on outlook express on THAT machine, and voila, got the SAME
error message on THE OTHER machine.

Went to yahoo tech support and after running their suggested tests, they
said the problem was not theirs, but was on my computer.

Finally, in desparation, i moved all the messages in my yahoo inbox to a
newly created folder (so now i had an empty inbox), logged off yahoo, started
outlook express, and the error message was gone.