Password Rejected Error # 0x800CCC90 & 0x800CCC92
Philmarlies
2007-11-13 22:42:02 UTC
I added a second E MAIL address to Outlook Express. The first E Mail
address works fine. I have tripple checked the set up and compared it
to the first E Mail setup and I can not find any thing wrong. Here is
the message I get when I try to sign in using the new E Mail address.
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
rejected. Account: 'pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.net', Server:
'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid
user/password', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
Error Number: 0x800CCC92

SET UP FOR NEW EMail Address

GENERAL
pop.sbcglobal.net
Name philtreo
EMAIL ***@sbcglobal.net

SERVERS
Incomming Mail pop.att.yahoo.com
Outgoing Mail smt.att.yahoo.com

Account Name ***@sbcglobal.net
Password XXXXXXXXX
Remember (checked)
Required Authentication (checked)

Settings
Log on Using
Account Name ***@sbcglobal.net
Password XXXXXXXXX
Remember (Checked)
Secure Password ( NOT checked)

OUT SMTP 465
Requires Secure SSL ( checked)
Incomming POP3 995
Requires secure SSL ( checked)

I have reentered name Email and password several times.

SET UP FOR WORKING ( FIRST ) EMail Address

GENERAL
pop.sbcglobal.net
Name philoutlook

Please Help Phil
Ron
2007-11-13 23:19:55 UTC
Post by Philmarlies
I added a second E MAIL address to Outlook Express. The first E Mail
address works fine. I have tripple checked the set up and compared it
to the first E Mail setup and I can not find any thing wrong. Here is
the message I get when I try to sign in using the new E Mail address.
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid
user/password', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
Error Number: 0x800CCC92
One thought might be that their mail servers will only allow you to
connect to their servers so many times per X amount of time.

What happens if you try to poll the non-working account via the
Send/Receive drop down menu and choosing just the non-working account to
poll? Does the account work then?

If no joy, you might try disabling your anti-virus program's email scan,
as that can interfere with account polling.

Also, have you tried logging into the account via webmail to make sure
the account is active, and that you have the username/password correct?
PA Bear
2007-11-13 23:21:28 UTC
You cannot create/add an email address using OE. If you need more than one
(1) address (i.e., ***@sbcglobal.net) for your mail account, contact
your ISP.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
Please Help Phil
Jone Doe
2007-11-13 23:48:21 UTC
Post by Philmarlies
I added a second E MAIL address to Outlook Express. The first E Mail
address works fine. I have tripple checked the set up and compared it
to the first E Mail setup and I can not find any thing wrong. Here is
the message I get when I try to sign in using the new E Mail address.
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid
user/password', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
Error Number: 0x800CCC92
<SNIP>
AT&T (Cingular through SBC) allows you to set up as many secondary addresses
as you need. But they will NOT allow you to use the same password for the
secondary accounts. Did you set up a different password? Remember also
upper and lower case can make a difference. abc, Abc, ABc, and ABC are not
equal. I'd delete the second emaill address, and then start over.
N. Miller
2007-11-14 00:26:29 UTC
Post by Jone Doe
Post by Philmarlies
I added a second E MAIL address to Outlook Express. The first E Mail
address works fine. I have tripple checked the set up and compared it
to the first E Mail setup and I can not find any thing wrong. Here is
the message I get when I try to sign in using the new E Mail address.
There was a problem logging onto your mail server. Your Password was
'pop.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR invalid
user/password', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90,
Error Number: 0x800CCC92
<SNIP>
AT&T (Cingular through SBC) allows you to set up as many secondary addresses
as you need.
Cingular was never involved in the ISP part of the business. SBC
Communications started out as one of the seven RBOCs which were created
after the 1984 breakup of AT&T; Southwestern Bell Telephone. SWBT went on to
buy two other RBOCs (Ameritech and Pacific Telesis), a non-ATT affiliated
regional ILEC (Southern New England Telephone), and an ISP (Prodigy). At
which time they changed their name to SBC Communications, Inc.

AT&T remained in the Long Distance business, and branched out into wireless
telephone and cable. Ultimately they split into AT&T Broadband Internet
(bought by Comcast), AT&T Wireless (bought jointly by Bellsouth and SBC, and
renamed as "Cingular"), and retained the long distance business (and a Tier
1 Internet backbone) under, "AT&T".

SBC contracted with Yahoo! to provide some basic Internet services to their
Internet customers (under the name, "SBC Yahoo DSL (and Dial) Service").
They only offered (and still do) up to 10 additional accounts (called, "Sub
Accounts"), in addition to the Primary Account.

When SBC bought AT&T, they changed their name from SBC to AT&T; and their
Internet service became, "at&t Yahoo! HSI (and Dial)". They have never
offered more than 10 sub accounts, in addition to the Primary Account.
However, the contracted Yahoo! email service offers all of the benefits of a
paid Yahoo! Mail Plus account, at no additional cost to the subscriber,
including a single extra email address in the 'yahoo.com' domain as an alias
to the AT&T email address (usually in the 'sbcglobal.net' domain; but there
are eight additional legacy domains which older customers retained), and up
to 500 disposable email addresses, under the name, "AddressGuard" (also in
the 'yahoo.com' domain). Like the extra email address, the "AddressGuard"
email addresses are aliases to the AT&T Internet account. That is for the
Primary Account, and each of the sub accounts.

You don't use the AddressGuard email address for a login (well, I don't
believe I have ever tried). You might be able to use the extra email address
('yahoo.com' domain; though I have never tried that, either). Older
customers, who migrated to SBC Yahoo! DSL Service when it was first created,
could merge an existing Yahoo! ID, one for each account. Since about two
years ago, that has changed. Migrated customers who never merged a Yahoo! ID
no longer can do so. New customer sign ups only get one chance to merge one
Yahoo! ID, with the Primary Account, during account activation. Once the
account has been activated, merging is no longer an option.

All of the above applies ***ONLY*** to 'at&t Yahoo! HSI' customers, not to
AT&T Worldnet, or AT&T FastAccess (formerly Bellsouth) DSL customers.
--
Norman
~Shine, bright morning light,
~singing down the hills and valleys.
N. Miller
2007-11-14 00:46:09 UTC
Post by Philmarlies
[...]
Did you create the additional email address as a Sub Account, under the
Primary Account? Unless you created the email address as a Sub Account, by
logging into the Primary Account, and going to the "Member Center", you do
not have a viable email address.

You are only allowed up to 10 Sub Accounts, in addition to the Primary
Account. If you remove a Sub Account, it will remain in the list for (I
belive) thirty days after it was removed, during which time you can add it
back; so it is possible to have more accounts listed, but only 10 active.

There are some other nifty features, none of which really apply to MS
Outlook Express. If you would like to learn more, set up MS Outlook Express
for a News account. Use 'news.la.sbcglobal.net' as your NNTP server, and use
your Primary Account email address (in full) for the account user name, and
your account password. When you get a list of available groups, there will
be groups under the name, 'sbcglobal.help.tech.*'. For help with email
issues, sign up for 'sbcglobal.help.tech.email'. For the extra Yahoo!
goodies, use, 'sbcglobal.help.tech.yahoo'. I am pretty certain that those
groups are not archive at Google Groups, so you won't be able to use your
web browser for access.